Breakfast time is really one of my favorite meals to prepare and eat. French toast is on the top of that list however, it’s really not the most nutritional meal to eat so when I discovered the cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread I was hooked. I’m not a fan of raisins but there’s just something about the raisins in this bread that brings it to a whole new level of yumminess and comfort.
How is Ezekiel bread different from the typical loaf a bread? Most bread contains added sugar but Ezekiel bread contains none. It is made from organic, sprouted whole grains which make it more nutritious and it’s also a low glycemic bread. However, it is still made from wheat, barley, and spelt which contain gluten. So Ezekiel bread is not for those people with celiac disease or who are gluten sensitive. You can find this bread in the frozen department of most grocery stores. I usually place it in my refrigerator when I get it home.
So to make this yummy and easy dish, I place egg whites, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, and stevia into a large dish for dipping. Blend this mixture with a whisk until totally combined. Heat a flat top griddle or pan to medium-high temperature. Spray the griddle or pan with cooking spray. Take 4 pieces of the Ezekiel bread (may need to place in microwave for 15 seconds to take the chill off) and dip each piece on both sides until well coated and place on hot griddle or pan. Cook on both sides for 3-5 minutes. Repeat until all pieces are cooked (if using a griddle you can cook all pieces at the same time). Slice each piece in half (2 whole pieces per person) and serve with maple syrup and sprinkled stevia on top. That’s it and you have a delicious breakfast that’s not only easy but nutritious! Healthy French Toast; Voila!!!
- 4 slices of Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread
- Cooking Spray
- ½ cup Egg Whites (I use Crystal Farms All Whites Eggwhites)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2- packet of stevia
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Heat griddle or pan on medium high heat
- Place egg whites, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and one packet of stevia in a large shallow dish
- Whisk all ingredients together until well combined
- Dip each piece of bread in mixture being sure to coat each side thoroughly
- Spray griddle or pan with cooking spray
- Cook each side for 3-5 minutes per side
- Slice each piece in half and serve on a plate
- Drizzle maple syrup and sprinkle with stevia before serving