Do you have a “go to” meal that never disappoints? Well, this chicken dish is one of those meals. It’s a dish that’s easy to pull together when you’re short on time and my children love it. This honey dijon chicken can be served with almost any side dish and it’s perfect whether you potatoes, rice, or pasta. It’s so versatile!
Did I mention the flavors? It’s one thing for adults to like it but for me it brings it to whole new level for my children to say, “yummy” and ask for seconds. I’ve always loved honey mustard but those prepackaged dressings are filled with unwanted sodium and sugar not to mention other processed ingredients. So to elevate the flavor and lighten this dressing up, I combine honey, stone ground dijon mustard, and a little bit of low sodium chicken stock. It’s best to use stock instead of broth because the flavor is richer.
So to bring this dish together:
- I like to use chicken thighs (you can opt for chicken breast if you like). Chicken thighs just have more flavor (especially in a skillet) because of the fat content.
- I season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place on a hot skillet to brown the edges,
- Mix up the dressing and pour over the chicken,
- Add chopped, fresh rosemary on top,
- Cover the dish and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Lastly, I place under a hot broiler (uncovered) for 2-3 minutes to caramelize the dish. Don’t miss this step because it intensifies the flavor. That’s it! So easy and delicious!
I served my chicken dish with steamed broccoli and roasted, yellow yukon potatoes. Give it a try and it may become your favorite “go to” meal too!
- 8 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1-2 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup stone ground dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cup no salt added chicken stock (just to loosen sauce)
- 1 stem of fresh rosemary (take off stem)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat
- Add washed and seasoned chicken thighs to skillet
- Brown meat on both sides 2-3 minutes on each side
- While browning meat, grab a small bowl
- Add mustard, honey, and stock
- Mix dressing until combined
- Add dressing to chicken evenly (make sure to coat all chicken)
- Sprinkle rosemary on top
- Cover and cook 6-7 minutes
- While cooking preheat broiler on high
- Uncover skillet and add to top rack of oven to broil dish 2-3 minutes (watch carefully not to burn)
- Remove chicken and serve