Who doesn’t love grilled steak especially on date night? Since my hubby and I work together we have to make it a priority to take the time for special “date nights”. We, however, aren’t the type of couple that likes to go out to eat at the local, high priced steak restaurant. Granted, we love to be catered to every now and then but who can afford that these days plus you just have more control over how your food is prepared and cooked when you do it yourself. Our goal is to make “date night” an experience through the whole process and we both love to cook and grill.
So this particular evening, we dropped the kiddos off at Grandmother’s house and stopped by our local Fresh Market for filet mignon and asparagus. What a perfect pairing and you won’t feel guilty by indulging in a steak dinner because it’s lean and healthy.
We do have a Big Green Egg which makes grilling extra special but any grill will do just fine. I particular love a charcoal grill because the flavor is just right for my taste buds. I keep my steak super, simple by adding just a tiny bit of salt and a heavy dose of pepper then grill to perfection (which in our case is medium rare). Then as a side dish, we also grill the asparagus that is lightly coated with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. So simple yet so delicious.
Did you know that asparagus is full of health benefits?
- Asparagus is a natural diuretic
- It’s full of anti-oxidants
- It’s an anti-inflammatory
- This veggie improves the health of your heart
- Fights and prevents cancer
- It can regulate blood sugar
- And is a great source of fiber
So next time you and your sweetheart plans a date night, consider staying home and making that date extra special with a simple steak dinner!
- 4-6 oz filet mignons
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat grill on high or 400 degrees for Big Green Egg
- Salt and pepper both sides of steak
- Cut ends off asparagus
- Mix oil and vinegar together in large bowl
- Add asparagus and coat evenly
- Salt and pepper asparagus to taste
- Place steak on grill and continue to grill for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium rare (longer if necessary)
- Last 3 minutes of grilling steak, add asparagus
- Flip asparagus after 2 minutes until tender
- Let steak rest for at least 5-10 minutes